We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Recently, orchid flowers have become very popular. But we must remember that this plant is thermophilic, which means that proper care must be provided in autumn and winter.
Creating comfortable conditions will help the flower bloom and multiply, even during the cold season. Further, the article discusses the features of caring for an orchid in the autumn and winter seasons.
Features of the plant life cycle
- Typically, in the fall, the plant begins to prepare for flowering.... It should be noted that each orchid has its own period, so flowering can begin in October and end in January.
The buds can form for a long time into a peduncle, and then bloom.
- In winter, the orchid is dormant, such a period can be compared to hibernation.... This period lasts until spring. This period is typical for all orchids that grow indoors.
It is advisable not to disturb the flower once again during this period of time, since it will not have time to completely rest, which will negatively affect the plant itself, and it may die due to lack of strength.
Important! If you follow the simple rules for caring for a flower, then there will be no problems, it is enough to follow simple recommendations.
Step by step instructions: how to care at home?
To facilitate the existence of a plant in the autumn and winter, you should carefully study all the recommendations of specialists.
Do I need to rearrange the plant in autumn or winter?
- September is considered a warm month, which is closer to summer temperatures, the decrease occurs gradually, so this month no special care is required.
- In the month of October, it is advisable not to touch the orchid and not to transfer it anywhere.
- As for January, this is the period of completion of flowering, so you can rearrange the plant in a room where there is no bright light, and there is a blackout. In this place, the plant will have the opportunity to rest and gain strength.
Do you need special feeding?
In October, feeding should be done according to the standard scheme., all nutrients must be applied every second watering. Top dressing should consist of potassium and phosphorus.
In winter, starting in January, the flower rests, so fertilizers can be omitted. But some experts say that there will be no harm to the plant if every second watering in winter is fed a little to the orchid.
Attention! It is best to give preference to drugs that contain a lot of vitamins and phosphorus. There are special complexes that are designed specifically for orchids.
Both in winter and in autumn, it is necessary for the plant to provide the optimum air temperature, which averages 21 degrees. It is advisable to avoid too large changes in temperature, for example, a difference of 10 degrees is very sensitive.
Indoor orchids do not tolerate warm air and stuffiness very well, so the room where the plant is located sometimes needs to be ventilated.
In October, the sun is no longer so hot, so the flower can be placed on the windowsill from the sunny side... During this period, amateurs are faced with a problem when the color day is not enough for flowering and then it is worth arranging additional lighting. The light should be on for half a day.
In winter, you should also not give up additional lighting, although the plant is at rest. Backlighting is done using special fluorescent lamps.
The light should be diffused. Do not expose the plant to direct sunlight. It is considered a mistake to turn the flower towards the light in different directions., so the orchid will lose even more of its energy to prepare for photosynthesis.
What kind of lighting orchids need in the autumn-winter period is described in the video:
Air humidity in October and January should stop at around 50%. It so happens that due to heating, the air humidity drops to 20%, and this is dangerous for the plant.
To ensure sufficient moisture, it is necessary to additionally spray the orchid, and a container with water should be placed next to the pot.
Some experts say that you need to buy a transparent pallet, which will be equal to ½ the pot, water is poured into this pan and a lattice is placed on top, on it a container with a flower must be put.
In October, the irrigation regime changes with temperature changes. Now the soil will dry more slowly, which means that watering can also be reduced. In the fall, frequent spraying and watering is prohibited, as the plant may simply die. Watering once a week should be sufficient.
In winter, with a decrease in temperature even more, watering is reduced even more, sometimes twice a month is enough.
Attention! In winter, you should not spray the flowers, as water enters the axils of the leaves, which leads to decay.
Do I need a transplant after October?
Transplanting the plant in winter is strictly prohibited. The last period that is most suitable for transplanting before hibernation is October. If the flower is a normal flower and develops, then the transplant should be postponed until a more favorable period.
Step by step instructions: how to transport a flower in winter?
A situation may arise when a plant needs to be transferred from one place to another. It is important to remember that any movement for a flower is stress.... Therefore, in order to reduce it, it is required to properly transport the plant:
- First of all, it is worth considering the air temperature, if it is slightly less than 0, then you need to use a paper bag.
- When the temperature mark stops at -5, then you need to pack the flower in a plastic bag.
- If the frost is -10, then it is best to use a synthetic winterizer.
- More than -15 degrees, the temperature is dangerous for the orchid, which means that it must be packed in polyethylene, and then put on a cover made of special insulation on top.
Attention! When the orchid reaches its destination, it is not necessary to unwrap it immediately, at least half an hour, the flower will need to adapt to new conditions.
Problems and difficulties
Cold time is a favorable period for pests that begin to attack the orchid. In this case, experts say that it is necessary to take care of prevention, which consists in wiping the leaves with a special mixture.
With the arrival of cold weather, the plant may stop blooming., the reason is hidden in the complex adaptation of a flower to a new environment for it. In this case, it is necessary to create all favorable conditions for the orchid.
Errors and ways to solve them
- Many growers do not take into account that the daylight hours become short, therefore they do not provide the plant with sufficient light.
- Improper watering can lead to the death of the flower, some orchid lovers simply dip the pot with drainage in water, and then, without waiting for the water to drain, return it to the tray.
The root system, being in constant moisture, begins to rot, fungi and bacterial diseases develop. To avoid such a mistake, you can put a piece of polystyrene on the windowsill, and put a pot on top.
- Problems can also arise with the wrong place, for example, it is not always necessary to transfer the flower to the south side in October, since the sun is still active. Given that the orchid is a delicate flower, it has heatstroke, which is easy to recognize by lethargic and yellowing leaves.
An orchid is a capricious flower, so you need to take care of it correctly. If any problems and diseases arise, it is important to recognize them as quickly as possible and eliminate them, then the flower will delight beautiful peduncles with its riot.